Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Anti-Christmas

This morning Dad and I were listening to some Xmas music that XM had and the program we were listening to was called "The Anti Christmas Music". So that inspired a post with the lyrics of one of my very favorites and some philosophical musing, also possible explanation of my religious status and why my dad lives in a trailer and mom in a house. Figures, its Christmas so I'll wear my fingers out more. This post may also include why two of my fingers are burnt. Also, guest appearance from a very cynical song sung by some kids who sound, if anything, younger than me and griping because I can't get the twitter badge to go in!
"That's today's scedule so far on the Raining Cats And Frogs Show on CHRISTMAAAAAAS EEEEEEVE!!!"
(You'll have to pardon John, he gets excited if you give him any airtime)



The Christians and the Pagans - Dar Williams

Amber called her uncle, said "We're up here for the holiday,
Jane and I were having Solstice, now we need a place to stay."
And her Christ-loving uncle watched his wife hang Mary on a tree,
He watched his son hang candy canes all made with red dye number three.
He told his niece, "It's Christmas Eve, I know our life is not your style,"
She said, "Christmas is like Solstice, and we miss you and its been a while,"

So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table,
Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able,
And just before the meal was served, hands were held and prayers were said,
Sending hope for peace on earth to all their gods and goddesses.

The food was great, the tree plugged in, the meal had gone without a hitch,
Till Timmy turned to Amber and said, "Is it true that you're a witch?"
His mom jumped up and said, "The pies are burning," and she hit the kitchen,
And it was Jane who spoke, she said, "It's true, your cousin's not a Christian,
But we love trees, we love the snow, the friends we have, the world we share,
And you find magic from your God, and we find magic everywhere."

So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table,
Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able,
And where does magic come from? I think magic's in the learning,
'Cause now when Christians sit with Pagans only pumpkin pies are burning.

When Amber tried to do the dishes, her aunt said, "Really, no, don't bother."
Amber's uncle saw how Amber looked like Tim and like her father.
He thought about his brother, how they hadn't spoken in a year,
He thought he'd call him up and say, "It's Christmas and your daughter's here."
He thought of fathers, sons and brothers, saw his own son tug his sleeve, saying,
"Can I be a Pagan?" Dad said, "We'll discuss it when they leave."

So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table,
Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able,
Lighting trees in darkness, learning new ways from the old, and
Making sense of history and drawing warmth out of the cold.



Okay so my fingers are burnt because I grabbed a smoldering coal last night. Happy? Not the brightest thing you've ever done, Cat. Nooooo....


Okay. My religious status? Hodgepodge extraordinaire. Y'see, Dad was raised Jewish and found Buddhist meditation, not believing all of it but enough that it works for him. And Mom? She has what's considered the norm in the US as I gather: not exactly Christian but celebrates Christmas, Easter, [Christian] New Year etc. So aforementioned hodgepodge extraordinaire.


Now you want to know about the living arrangements!? FINE! Dad lives in a trailer in Las T. on the exact other side of town from mom in San V. (neighborhoods), because mom and dad are divorced in all but law and have been for almost four years. And BTW, the damn construction is still under d'arvitting way. I HATE THIS I HATE THIS I HATE THIS I HATE THIS I HATE THIS STUPID DAMN CONSTRUCTION!!! Ookay that's not very holiday spirit-y. That was good to get out of my system though.


Has anyone noticed a lot of parallels between religions? I'm not talking about Roman and Greek in other words Ripoff and oriGinal (R for Roman G for Greek) I'm just talking about how the sun is, in many cases I have encountered, male and the moon vice versa; I wonder if JRR Tolkien therefore made the Sun female and the Moon vice versa in the common beliefs of Middle Earth.


"Santa Doesn't Come to Little Jewish Children's Houses" - Yid Kids
This is a wonderfully cynical song that is mostly the repeating of the title phrase, though there are some parts that provide a helpful relief from the repetition, such as the section devoted to telling you about how they sometimes let little Christian kids in on the secret, that Santa is a lie, because Santa doesn't come to little Jewish children's houses... (and so on) and the bit about how when they get their presents they know Mommy and Daddy sent them, and there's a little Christian kid sometimes interrupting; the first time "stop! Stop it!" and the second, "Merry Christma- are you listening to me?!" I really liked this song and hope Dad and I can get a copy.



And I still can't get the twitter badge in, damnnit! Damn damn.... *Blogger politely cuts C off* Wish me luck...


Dad's dreaming of a purple Christmas....

No comments:

Where are YOU coming from?

The meek are too meek to inherit

It's Raining Cats and Frogs
And the geek shall inherit the earth.
The GEEK, I said!
Are you hard of hearing or something? The GEEK!

I am a geek.